Silicone Solutions for LED Lighting Systems
In today’s elastomer market, the range of rubbers available to lighting engineers, designers and buyers is extensive. So much so, that when analysing the list of rubber properties, it is very easy to get lost in a maze of grades, forms, specifications, thickness’s and hardness’s.
Failure to choose the correct sealing material often leads to failure in application. This is commonly caused by water, moisture or dust ingress within electrical enclosures causing downtime and repair costs. Therefore it is vital to analyse and chose the correct materials to ensure failure is prevented.
When to Choose Silicone Rubber?
Silicone rubber excels at high temperatures and provides excellent sealing properties for LED lighting systems and electrical enclosures that are exposed to outdoor conditions.
Due to silicones’ extreme temperature resistance, chemical stability and low compression set, it is the material of choice in many LED lighting applications as it performs comfortably with high heat generated from the diodes. Silicone also has excellent environmental resistance allowing for use in outdoor applications where protection from weathering is critical for performance.
Benefits of kSil™ Silicone Sheeting
- Smooth Skin - better sealing performance
- UL94-V0 and V1 approved grades
- Low smoke/toxicity grades
- Closed Cell Sponge - Low water and dust ingress
- Low Compression Set and Deflection
- Excellent Tear Resistance
- Light Weight
- Flexible - Easily Applied
- Vibration Dampening
- Extreme Temperature Range: +230°C to -60°C (+446°F to -76°F)
- Weather Resistant - UV, Ozone, Frost, Rain - ideal for outdoor LED applications
- Low out-gassing
- IP65 and IP66 achieved (subject to design of components)
- Rolls and Sheets - Solid and Sponge / Foam
- Rolls: Up to 50mtrs solid and 20mtrs sponge (on selected grades and dimensions)
- Sheets: 1m²
- Sponge / Foam Extrusions (expanSil™)
- Pressure Sensitive Adhesive backing (PSA)
- Cut Gaskets
- Joined rings